Google Scholar Profile
I am a Professor at Nanjing Agricultural University. My work focuses on the physiology and molecular genetics of plant adaption to altered availability of major nutrients and salt stress.
Current N-related Projects:
- Improving crop N use efficiency
1. Shunan Zhang, Yuyi Zhang, Kangning Li, Ming Yan, Jinfei Zhang, Ming Yu, Shuo Tang, Luyang Wang, Hongye Qu, Le Luo, Wei Xuan, Guohua Xu*. 2020. Nitrogen mediates flowering time and nitrogen use efficiency via a floral regulator in rice. Current Biology DOI: 10.1016/j.cub.2020.10.095.
2. Mengmeng Hou, Feifei Luo, Daxia Wu, Xuhong Zhang, Manman Lou, Defeng Shen, Ming Yan, Chuanzao Mao, Xiaorong Fan, Guohua Xu, Yali Zhang*. 2020. OsPIN9, an auxin efflux carrier, is required for the regulation of rice tiller bud outgrowth by ammonium. New Phytologist DOI: 10.1111/nph.16901.
3. Shang Pan, Yang Wang, Yunpeng Qiu, Dima Chen, Lin Zhang, Chenglong Ye, Hui Guo, Weixing Zhu, Aiqun Chen, Guohua Xu, Yi Zhang*, Yongfei Bai*, Shuijin Hu*. 2020. Nitrogen‐induced acidification, not N‐nutrient, dominates suppressive N effects on arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi. Global Change Biology. https://doi.org/10.1111/gcb.15311
4. Guohua Xu*, Hideki Takahashi*. 2020. Improving nitrogen use efficiency: from cells to plant systems. Journal of Experimental Botany 71 (15), 4359-4364.
5. Shuangshuang Wang, Aiqun Chen*, Kun Xie, Xiaofeng Yang, Zhenzhen Luo, Jiadong Chen, Dechao Zeng, Yuhan Ren, Congfan Yang, Lingxiao Wang, Huimin Feng, Damar Lizbeth Lopez-Arredondo, Luis Rafael Herrera-Estrella*, Guohua Xu * (徐国华). 2020. Functional analysis of the OsNPF4.5 nitrate transporter reveals a conserved mycorrhizal pathway of nitrogen acquisition in plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.2000926117.
6. Chen JG, Liu XQ, Liu SH, Fan XR, Zhao L, Song MQ, Fan XR*, Xu GH. 2020. Co-Overexpression of OsNAR2. 1 and OsNRT2. 3a Increased Agronomic Nitrogen Use Efficiency in Transgenic Rice Plants. Frontiers in Plant Science 11, 1245.
7. Guo N, Gu MJ, Hu J, Qu HY*, Xu G. 2020. Rice OsLHT1 Functions in Leaf-to-Panicle Nitrogen Allocation for Grain Yield and Quality. Frontiers in Plant Science 11, 1150.
8. Nan Guo, Jinqi Hu, Ming Yan, Le Luo, Hongye Qu, Mechthild Tegeder*, Guohua Xu*. 2020. Oryza sativa Lysine-Histidine-type Transporter 1 functions in root uptake and root-to-shoot allocation of amino acids in rice. The Plant Journal 103(1): 395-411. https://doi.org/10.1111/tpj.14742.
9. Miaoquan Song, Xiaorong Fan, Jingguan Chen, Hongye Qu, Le Luo, Guohua Xu*. 2020. Characterization of OsNAR2.1 interaction with OsNIT1 and OsNIT2 in rice uncovers their different critical roles in mediating root growth response to nitrate and ammonium. Plant Physiology DOI:10.1104/pp.19.01364.
10. Le Luo, Yali Zhang, Guohu Xu*. 2020. How does nitrogen shape plant architecture? Journal of Experimental Botany https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/eraa187
11. Huimin Feng, Xiaorong Fan, Anthony J Miller, Guohua Xu*. 2020. Plant nitrogen uptake and assimilation: regulation of cellular pH homeostasis. Journal of Experimental Botany https://doi.org/10.1093/jxb/eraa150.
12. Zhizhong Gong†, Liming Xiong†, Huazhong Shi†, Shuhua Yang†, Luis R. Herrera-Estrella†, Guohua Xu†, Dai-Yin Chao†, Jingrui Li, Peng-Yun Wang, Feng Qin, Jijang Li, Yanglin Ding, Yiting Shi, Yu Wang, Yongqing Yang, Yan Guo* and Jian-Kang Zhu*. 2020. Plant abiotic stress response and nutrient use efficiency. SCIENCE CHINA Life Sciences. 63, doi: 10.1007/s11427-020-1683-x († equal contribution).
13. Fan X, Chen J, Wu Y, Teo CH, Xu G, Fan X*. 2020. Genetic and Global Epigenetic Modification, Which Determines the Phenotype of Transgenic Rice? International Journal of Molecular Sciences 21 (5), 1819.
14. Luo B, Xu M, Zhao L, Xie P, Chen Y, Harwood W, Xu G, Fan X*, Miller AJ*. 2020. Overexpression of the High-Affinity Nitrate Transporter OsNRT2. 3b Driven by Different Promoters in Barley Improves Yield and Nutrient Uptake Balance. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 21 (4), 1320.
15. Junli Liu, Jiadong Chen, Kun Xie, Yuan Tian, Anning Yan, Jianjian Liu, Yujuan Huang, Shuangshuang Wang, Yiyong Zhu, Aiqun Chen*, Guohua Xu*. 2020. A mycorrhiza‐specific H+‐ATPase is essential for arbuscule development and symbiotic phosphate and nitrogen uptake. Plant Cell and Environment https://doi.org/10.1111/pce.13714.
16. Gao Z, Wang Y, Chen G, Zhang A, Yang S, Shang L, Wang D, Ruan B, Liu C, Jiang H, Dong G, Zhu L, Hu J, Zhang G, Zeng D, Guo L, Xu GH, Teng S, Harberd NP*, Qian Q*. 2019. The indica nitrate reductase gene OsNR2 allele enhances rice yield potential and nitrogen use efficiency. Nature Communication 10(1):5207.
17. Dong C, Li F, Yang T, Feng L, Zhang S, Li F, Li W, Xu G, Bao S, Wan X, Lucas WJ, Zhang Z. 2019. Theanine transporters identified in tea plants (Camellia sinensis L.). The Plant Journal. 101 (1), 57-70.
18. Huang S, Liang Z, Chen S, Sun H, Fan X, Wang C, Xu GH, Zhang YL*. 2019. A Transcription Factor, OsMADS57, Regulates Long-Distance Nitrate Transport and Root Elongation. Plant Physiology. 180(2):882-895.
19. Chen J, Qi T, Hu Z, Fan X, Zhu L, Iqbal MF, Yin X, Xu G, Fan X*. 2019. OsNAR2.1 Positively Regulates Drought Tolerance and Grain Yield Under Drought Stress Conditions in Rice. Frontiers in Plant Science. 10:197. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2019.00197.
20. Wei J, Zheng Y, Feng HM, Qu HY, Fan XR, Yamaji N, Ma JF, Xu GH*. 2018. Rice OsNRT2.4 gene encodes a dual-affinity nitrate transporter and functions in nitrate-regulated root growth and nitrate distribution. Journal of Experimental Botany 69: 1095-1107.
21. Luo L, Qin R, Liu T, Yu M, Yang T, Xu G*. 2018. OsASN1 Plays a Critical Role in Asparagine-Dependent Rice Development. International Journal of Molecular Sciences 20(1). doi: 10.3390/ijms20010130.
22. Pei W, Jain A, Ai H, Liu X, Feng B, Wang X, Sun Y, Xu G, Sun S*. 2018. OsSIZ2 regulates nitrogen homeostasis and some of the reproductive traits in rice. Journal of Plant Physiology 232: 51-60.
23. Sun Y, Luo W, Jain A, Liu L, Ai H, Liu X, Feng B, Zhang L, Zhang Z, Xu G, Sun S*. 2018. OsPHR3 affects the traits governing nitrogen homeostasis in rice. BMC Plant Biology. 18(1):241. doi: 10.1186/s12870-018-1462-7.
24. Luo B, Chen J, Zhu L, Liu S, Li B, Lu H, Ye G, Xu G, Fan X*. 2018. Overexpression of a High-Affinity Nitrate Transporter OsNRT2.1 Increases Yield and Manganese Accumulation in Rice Under Alternating Wet and Dry Condition. Frontiers in Plant Science 9:1192. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2018.01192.
25. Sun H, Tao J, Bi Y, Hou M, Lou J, Chen X, Zhang X, Luo L, Xie X, Yoneyama K, Zhao Q, Xu G, Zhang Y*. 2018. OsPIN1b is Involved in Rice Seminal Root Elongation by Regulating Root Apical Meristem Activity in Response to Low Nitrogen and Phosphate. Sci Rep. 8(1):13014.
26. Luo L, Wang HX, Liu XH, Hu JQ, Zhu XL, Pan S, Qin RY, Wan YF, Zhao PP, Fan XR, Xu GH*. 2018. Strigolactones affect the translocation of nitrogen in rice. Plant Science. 270: 190-197.
27. Guohua Xu*. 2018. Sensing and transport of nutrients in plants. Seminars in Cell & Developmental Biology 74: 78-79.
28. Chen AQ, Gu M, Wang SS, Chen J, Xu GH*. 2018. Transport properties and regulatory roles of nitrogen in arbuscular mycorrhizal symbiosis. Seminars in Cell & Developmental Biology 74: 80-88.
29. Xuan W, Beeckman T, Xu GH*. 2017. Plant nitrogen nutrition: sensing and signaling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 39: 57-65.
30. Feng HM, Li B, Zhi Y, Chen J, Li R, Xia XD, Xu GH, Fan XR*. 2017. Overexpression of the nitrate transporter, OsNRT2.3b, improves rice phosphorus uptake and translocation. Plant Cell Reports 36: 1287-1296.
31. Guo H, Zhou H, Zhang J, Guan W, Xu S, Shen W, Xu GH, Xie Y*, Foyer C. 2017. L-cysteine desulfhydrase-related H2S production is involved in OsSE5-promoted ammonium tolerance in roots of Oryza sativa. Plant Cell & Environment 40: 1777-1790.
32. Chen J, Fan XR, Qian K, Zhang Y, Song M, Liu Y, Xu GH, Fan XR*. 2017. pOsNAR2.1:OsNAR2.1 expression enhances nitrogen uptake efficiency and grain yield in transgenic rice plants. Plant Biotechnology Journal 15: 1273-1283.
33. Fan XR; Naz M; Fan XR; Xuan W; Miller AJ; Xu GH* 2017. Plant nitrate transporters: from gene function to application. Journal of Experimental Botany 68(10): 2463–2475.
34. Sun, Huwei; Tao, Jinyuan; Zhao, Quanzhi; Xu, Guohua; Zhang, Yali. 2017. Multiple roles of nitric oxide in root development and nitrogen uptake. Plant Signaling & Behavior 12(1): e1274480．
35. Gao CM, Ding L, Li YR, Chen YP, Zhu JW, Gu M, Li Y, Xu GH, Shen QR, Guo SW. 2017. Nitrate increases ethylene production and aerenchyma formation in roots of lowland rice plants under water stress. Functional Plant Biology 44: 430-442.
36. Luo L; Pan S; Liu XH; Wang HX; Xu GH*. 2017. Nitrogen deficiency inhibits cell division-determined elongation, but not initiation, of rice tiller buds. Israeli Journal of Plant Science 64: 32-40.
37. Li C, Tang Z, Wei J, Qu HY, Xie YJ, Xu GH*. 2016. The OsAMT1.1 gene functions in ammonium uptake and ammonium-potassium homeostasis over low and high ammonium concentration ranges. Journal of Genetics and Genomics 43(11): 639-649.
38. Fan XR, Tang Z, Tan YW, Zhang Y, Luo BB, Yang M, Lian XM, Shen QR, Miller AJ, Xu GH*. 2016. Overexpression of a pH-sensitive nitrate transporter in rice increases crop yields. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 113: 7118-7123.
39. Chen JG, Zhang Y, Tan YW, Zhang M, Zhu LL, Xu GH, Fan XR. 2016. Agronomic nitrogen-use efficiency of rice can be increased by driving OsNRT2.1 expression with the OsNAR2.1 promoter. Plant Biotechnology Journal 14(8):1705-1715.
40. Sun HW, Bi Y, Tao JY, Huang SJ, Hou MM, Xue R, Ling ZH, Gu PY, Yoneyama K, Xie XN, Shen QR, XU GH, Zhang YL. 2016. Strigolactones are required for nitric oxide to induce root elongation in response to nitrogen- and phosphate-deficiency in rice. Plant Cell & Environment 39: 1473-84.
41. Wang HD, Sun R, Cao Y, Pei WX, Sun YF, Zhou HM, Wu XN, Zhang F, Luo L, Shen QR, Xu GH, Sun SB. 2015. OsSIZ1, a SUMO E3 Ligase Gene, is Involved in the Regulation of the Responses to Phosphate and Nitrogen in Rice. Plant & Cell Physiology 56(12):2381-95.
42. Zhu J, Liang J, Xu Z, Fan X, Zhou Q, Shen Q, Xu G. 2015. Root aeration improves growth and N accumulation in rice seedlings under low nitrogen. AoB Plants. 7: doi:10.1093/aobpla/plv131.
43. Huang SJ, Chen S, Liang Z, Zhang CM, Yan M, Chen JG, XU GH, Fan X, Zhang YL. 2015. Knockdown of the partner protein OsNAR2.1 for high-affinity nitrate transport represses lateral root formation in a nitrate-dependent manner. Scientific Reports. 5:18192. doi: 10.1038/srep18192.
44. Lei Ding, Limin Gao, Wei Liu, Min Wang, Mian Gu, Binbin Ren, Guohua Xu, Qirong Shen, Shiwei Guo. 2015. Aquaporin plays an important role in mediating chloroplastic CO2 concentration under high-N supply in rice (Oryza sativa) plants. Physiologia Plantarum 156: 215-226.
45. Xiaorong Fan, Huimin Feng, Yawen Tan, Yanling Xu, Qisong Miao, Guohua Xu. 2015. A putative 6 trans-membrane nitrate transporter OsNRT1.1b plays a key role in rice under low nitrogen. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology. 58(6): 590-599.
46. Xiaoqin Liu, Huimin Feng, Daimin Huang, Miaoquan Song, Xiaorong Fan, Guohua Xu*. 2015. Two short sequences in OsNAR2.1 promoter are necessary for fully activating the nitrate induced gene expression in rice roots. Scientific Reports. 5:11950 | DOI: 10.1038/srep11950.
47. Huwei Sun, Jiao Li, Wenjing Song, Jinyuan Tao, Shuangjie Huang, Si Chen, Mengmeng Hou, Guohua Xu and Yali Zhang. 2015. Nitric oxide generated by nitrate reductase increases nitrogen uptake capacity by inducing lateral root formation and inorganic nitrogen uptake under partial nitrate nutrition in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 66(9): 2449-2459.
48. Ding L., Gao C., Li Y., Li Y., Zhu Y., Xu G., Shen Q., Kaldenhoff R., Kai L. & Guo S. (2015) The enhanced drought tolerance of rice plants under ammonium is related to aquaporin (AQP). Plant Science 234, 14-21.
49. Xiudong Xia, Xiaorong Fan, Jia Wei, Huimin Feng, Hongye Qu, Dan Xie, Anthony J Miller, Guohua Xu* (2014) Rice Nitrate Transporter OsNPF2.4 Functions in Low Affinity Acquisition and Long-Distance Transport. Journal of Experimental Botany 66 (1), 317-331.
50. Liu X, Huang D, Tao J, Miller AJ, Fan X, Xu G. (2014) Identification and functional assay of the interaction motifs in the partner protein OsNAR2.1 of the two-component system for high-affinity nitrate transport. New Phytologist 204(1):74-80.
51. Xie YJ, Mao Y, Xu S, Zhou H, Duan XL, Cui W, Zhang J, Xu GH*. (2014) Heme-heme oxygenase1 system is involved in ammonium tolerance by regulating antioxidant defense in Oryza sativa. Plant Cell and Environment 38 (1), 129-143.
52. Xiaorong Fan, Dan Xie, Jingguang Chen, Haiyan Lu, Yanling Xu, Cui Ma, Guohua Xu. (2014) Over-expression of OsPTR6 in rice increased plant growth at different nitrogen supplies but decreased nitrogen use efficiency at high ammonium supply. Plant Science 384 (1-2), 259-270.
53. Wang M, Shen Q, Xu GH, Guo S. 2014. New insight into the strategy for nitrogen metabolism in plant cells. International Review of Cell and Molecular Biology. 310:1-37.
54. Sun HW, Tao JY, Liu SJ, Huang SJ, Chen S, Xie XN, Yoneyama K, Zhang YL, XU GH (2014) Strigolactones are involved in phosphate and nitrate deficiency-induced root development and auxin transport in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany 65 (22), 6735-6746.
55. X Zhan, J Yuan, L Yue, G Xu, B Hu, R Xu. (2014) Response of uptake and translocation of phenanthrene to nitrogen form in lettuce and wheat seedlings. Environ Sci Pollut Res. 22:6280–6287.
56. Feng HM, Xia XD, Fan XR, Xu GH, Miller AJ. (2013) Optimizing plant transporter expression in Xenopus oocytes. Plant Methods 9:48.
57. Song WJ, Li J, Sun HW, Huang SJ, Gong XP, Ma QY, Zhang YL, Xu GH. 2013. Increased photosynthetic capacity in response to nitrate is correlated with enhanced cytokinin levels in rice cultivar with high responsiveness to nitrogen nutrients. Plant and Soil 373: 981-993.
58. Song W, Sun H, Li J, Gong X, Huang S, Zhu X, Zhang Y, Xu G. (2013) Auxin distribution is differentially affected by nitrate in roots of two rice cultivars differing in responsiveness to nitrogen. Annals of Botany. 112(7): 1383-93.
59. Yong Li, Binbin Ren, Xiuxia Yang, Guohua Xu, Qirong Shen and Shiwei Guo. (2012) Chloroplast Downsizing Under Nitrate Nutrition Restrained Mesophyll Conductance and Photosynthesis in Rice (Oryza sativa L.) Under Drought Conditions. Plant and Cell Physiology 53: 892-900.
60. Zhong Tang, Xiaorong Fan, Qing Li, Huimin Feng, Anthony J. Miller, Qirong Shen, Guohua Xu* (2012) Knock Down of a Rice Stelar Nitrate Transporter Alters Long Distance Translocation but not Root Influx. Plant Physiology 160:2052-2063.
61. Zeng HQ, Liu G, Kinoshita T, Zhang RP, Zhu YY, Shen QR, Xu GH. 2012. Stimulation of phosphorus uptake by ammonium nutrition involves plasma membrane H+ ATPase in rice roots. Plant and Soil 357: 205-214.
62. Xu GH*, Fan XR, Miller AJ. 2012. Plant Nitrogen Assimilation and Use Efficiency. Annual Review of Plant Biology 63: 153-182.
63. Wu P, Xu GH, Lian X. 2012. Nitrogen and phosphorus uptake and utilization. Genetics and Genomics of Rice. Plant Genetics and Genomics: Crops and Models. 5: 217-226.
64. Liu, Anthony J. Miller and Guohua Xu*. 2011. Multiple roles of nitrate transport accessory protein NAR2 in plants. Plant Signaling & Behavior 6(9):1-4.
65. Yan M, Fan XR, Feng HM, Miller AJ, Shen QR, Xu GH*. 2011. Rice OsNAR2.1 interacts with OsNRT2.1, OsNRT2.2 and OsNRT2.3a nitrate transporters to provide uptake over high and low concentration ranges. Plant Cell and Environment. 34:1360-1372.
66. Huimin Feng, Ming Yan, Xiaorong Fan, Baozhen Li, Qirong Shen, Anthony J Miller, Guohua Xu*. 2011. Spatial expression and regulation of rice high-affinity nitrate
transporters by nitrogen and carbon status. Journal of Experimental Botany 62 (7):2319-2332.
67. Song WJ, Makeen K, Wang DS, Zhang CM, Xu YH, Zhao H, Tu E, Zhang YL, Shen QR, Xu GH. 2011. Nitrate supply affects root growth differentially in two rice cultivars differing in nitrogen use efficiency. Plant and Soil 343(1&2):357-368.
68. Miller AJ, Shen QR, Xu GH. 2009. Freeways in the plant: transporters for N, P and S and their regulation. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 284-290.
69. Zhu Y, DI T, Xu G, Chen X, Zeng H, Yan F, Shen Q. 2009. Adaptation of plasma membrane H+-ATPase of rice roots to low pH as related to ammonium nutrition. Plant Cell and Environment. 32(10): 1428-1440.
70. Yuefeng Li, Wei Ran, Ruiping Zhang, Guohua Xu*. 2009. Facilitated mycorrhizal colonization, legume nodulation, phosphate uptake and nitrogen transfer in a mycorrhizal upland rice and mungbean by intercrop. Plant and Soil 315: 285-296.
71. Y. Duan, Y. Zhang, L. Ye, X. Fan, G. Xu, Q. Shen 2007. Responses of Rice Cultivars with Different Nitrogen Use Efficiency to Partial Nitrate Nutrition. Annals of Botany 99(6): 1153-1160.
72. Baozhen Li, Weijie Xin, Shubin Sun, Guohua Xu*. 2006. Physiological and Molecular Responses of Nitrogen-Starved Rice Plants to Re-supply of Different Nitrogen Sources. Plant and Soil. 287:145-159.
73. Yan X, Wu P, Ling H, Xu G, Xu F, Zhang Q. 2006. Plant Nutriomics in China: An Overview. Annals of Botany 98: 473-482.
74. Xiaoqin Qian, Qirong Shen, Guohua Xu*. Juanjuan Wang and Mingyao Zhou. 2004. Nitrogen form effects on yield and nitrogen uptake of rice crop grown in aerobic soil. Journal of Plant Nutrition 27: 1061-1076.
75. Guohua Xu* and Uzi Kafkafi. 2003. Seasonal differences in mineral contents, distribution and leakage of sweet pepper seeds. Annals of Applied Biology 143 (1): 45-52.
76. Guohua Xu*, Uzi Kafkafi, Shmuel Wolf, and Yukihiro Sugimoto. 2002. Mother plant nutrition and growing condition affect amino and fatty acids composition of hybrid sweet pepper seeds. Journal of Plant Nutrition 25 (7): 1645 – 1665.
77. Guohua Xu*, Shmuel Wolf, and Uzi Kafkafi. 2002. Ammonium on Potassium Interaction in Sweet Pepper. Journal of Plant Nutrition 25: 719-734.
78. Guohua Xu, Shmuel. Wolf, and Uzi Kafkafi. 2001. Interaction of nutrient concentration and container volume on flowering, fruiting, and nutrient uptake of sweet pepper. Journal of Plant Nutrition 24: 479-501.
79. Guohua Xu* and Uzi Kafkafi. 2001. Nutrient supply and container size effects on flowering, fruiting assimilate allocation, and water relations of sweet pepper. Acta Horticulture 554: 113-120.
80. Guohua Xu*, Shmuel Wolf, and Uzi Kafkafi. 2001. Effect of varying nitrogen form and concentration during growing season on sweet pepper flowering and fruit yield. Journal of Plant Nutrition 24: 1099-1116.