61 8 83039661
Google Scholar Profile
Victor Sadras is a crop ecophysiologist with interest in the adaptation of crops to environmental stresses, including water deficit, extreme temperatures, nutrient deficit, soil physical and chemical constraints, pathogens and insects. He has measured, modelled and developed theory on aspects of yield, quality, and the water, carbon and nitrogen economies of annual (wheat, field pea, chickpea, sunflower, maize, soybean, cotton) and perennial crops (grapevine, olive) in rain-fed and irrigated systems of Australia, Argentina and more recently China.
Current N-related Projects:
- Benchmarking wheat yield against nitrogen use
1. Balboa G, Sadras VO, Ciampitti I A 2017. Shifts in soybean yield, nutrient uptake, and nutrient stoichiometry: A historical synthesis-analysis. Crop Science in press.
2. Sadras VO, Mahadevan M, Zwer PK 2017 Oat phenotypes for drought adaptation and yield potential. Field Crops Research 212, 135-144
3. Cao H, Wang Z, He G, Dai J, Huang M, Wang S, Luo L, Sadras V O, Hoogmoed M, Malhi S S. 2017. Tailoring NPK fertilizer application to precipitation for dryland winter wheat in the Loess Plateau. Field Crops Research 209:88-95.
4. Wang Z, Sadras VO, Hoogmoed M, Yang XY, Huang F, Han XY, Zhang SL 2017 Shifts in nitrogen and phosphorus uptake and allocation in response to selection for yield in Chinese winter wheat. Crops and Pasture Science in press
5. Aziz MM, Palta JA, Siddique KHH and Sadras VO. 2017. Five decades of selection for yield reduced root length density and increased nitrogen uptake per unit root length in Australian wheat varieties. Plant and Soil 413, 181–192.
6. Sadras VO, Lake L, Li Y, Farquharson EA, Sutton T 2016. Phenotypic plasticity and its genetic regulation for yield, nitrogen fixation and δ13C in chickpea crops under varying water regimes. Journal of Experimental Botany 67, 4339-51.
7. Sadras VO, Hayman PT, Rodriguez D, Monjardino M, Bielich M, Unkovich M, Mudge B, Wang E 2016. Interactions between water and nitrogen in Australian cropping systems: physiological, agronomic, economic, breeding and modelling perspectives. Crop Pasture Science 67, 1019-1053.
8. Hoogmoed M, Sadras VO 2016 The importance of water-soluble carbohydrates in the theoretical framework for nitrogen dilution in shoot biomass of wheat. Field Crops Research 193, 196-200.
9. Divito GA, Echeverria HE, Andrade FH, Sadras VO 2016 N and S concentration and stoichiometry in soybean during vegetative growth: Dynamics of indices for diagnosing the S status Field Crops Research
10. Divito GA, Echeverría HE, Andrade FH, Sadras VO 2016 Soybean shows an attenuated nitrogen dilution curve irrespective of maturity group and sowing date. Field Crops Research 186, 1-9.
11. Divito GA, Echeverría HE, Andrade FH, Sadras VO 2015 Diagnosis of S deficiency in soybean crops: Performance of S and N:S determinations in leaf, shoot and seed. Field Crops Research 180, 167-175
12. Caviglia OP, Melchiori RJM, Sadras VO 2014 Nitrogen utilization efficiency in maize as affected by hybrid and nitrogen rate in late-sown crops. Field Crops Research 168:27-37
13. Sadras VO, Richards RA 2014 Improvement of crop yield in dry environments: benchmarks, levels of organisation and the role of nitrogen Journal of Experimental Botany 65:1981-95.
14. Sadras VO, Lemaire G 2014 Quantifying crop nitrogen status for comparisons of agronomic practices and genotypes Field Crops Research 164: 54–64.
15. Divito GA, Sadras VO 2014 How do phosphorus, potassium and sulphur affect plant growth and biological nitrogen fixation in crop and pasture legumes? A meta-analysis. Field Crops Research 156:161-171.
16. Sadras VO, Lawson C. 2013. Nitrogen and water-use efficiency of Australian wheat varieties released between 1958 and 2007. European Journal of Agronomy 46, 34– 41.
17. Sadras VO, Lawson C, Hooper P, McDonald GK. 2012. Contribution of summer rainfall and nitrogen to the yield and water use efficiency of wheat in Mediterranean-type environments of South Australia. European Journal of Agronomy 36, 41-54.
18. Drew EA, Denton MD, Sadras VO, Ballard RA. 2012. Agronomic and environmental drivers of population size and symbiotic performance of Rhizobium leguminosarum bv. viciae in Mediterranean-type environments. Crop and Pasture Science 63, 467-477.
19. Sadras VO, Rodriguez D. 2010. Modelling the nitrogen-driven trade-off between nitrogen utilisation efficiency and water use efficiency of wheat in eastern Australia. Field Crops Research 118, 297–305.
20. Fitzgerald GJ, Rodriguez D, Christensen LK, Belford R, Sadras VO, Clarke TR 2006. Spectral and thermal sensing for nitrogen and water status in rainfed and irrigated wheat environments Precision Agriculture 7: 233-248.
21. Sadras VO 2005 A quantitative top-down view of interactions between stresses: theory and analysis of nitrogen-water co-limitation in Mediterranean agro-ecosystems. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 56, 1151-1157.
22. Sadras VO 2005. The N:P stoichiometry of cereal, grain legume and oil seed crops. Field Crops Research 95: 13-29.
23. Rodriguez D, Sadras VO, Christensen LK, Belford R, 2005. Spatial assessment of the physiological status of wheat crops as affected by water and nitrogen supply using infrared thermal imagery. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 56: 983-993.
24. Sadras VO. 2004. Yield and water-use efficiency of water and nitrogen stressed wheat crops increase with degree of co-limitation. European Journal of Agronomy 21: 455-464.
25. Sadras VO, Roget DK. 2004. Production and environmental aspects of cropping intensification in a semiarid environment of southeastern Australia. Agronomy Journal 96: 236-246.
26. Sadras VO, Baldock JA, Cox JW, Bellotti WD. 2004. Crop rotation effect on wheat grain yield as mediated by changes in the degree of water and nitrogen co-limitation. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 55: 599-607.
27. Sadras VO, Baldock JA. 2003. Influence of size of rainfall events on water-driven processes. II. Soil nitrogen mineralisation in a semi-arid environment. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 54: 353-361.
28. Sadras VO 2002. Interaction between rainfall and nitrogen fertilization of wheat in environments prone to terminal drought: economic and environmental risk analysis. Field Crops Research 77: 201-215.
29. Thomas H, Sadras VO 2001. The capture and gratuitous disposal of resources by plants. Functional Ecology 15: 3-12.
30. Mercau JL, Sadras VO, Satorre EH, Messina C, Balbi C, Uribelarrea M, Hall AJ. 2001. On-farm assessment of regional and seasonal variation in sunflower yield in Argentina. Agricultural Systems 67: 83-103.
31. Milroy SP, Bange MP, Sadras VO 2001. Profiles of leaf nitrogen and light in reproductive canopies of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum). Annals of Botany 87: 325-333.
32. Caviglia OP, Sadras VO. 2001. Effect of nitrogen supply on crop conductance, water- and radiation-use efficiency of wheat. Field Crops Research 69: 259-266.
33. Sadras VO, Echarte L, Andrade FH. 2000. Profiles of leaf senescence during reproductive growth of sunflower and maize. Annals of Botany 85: 187-195.
34. Sadras VO, Wilson LJ. 1997. Nitrogen accumulation and partitioning in shoots of cotton plants infested with two-spotted spider mites. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research 48: 523-533.
35. Connor DJ, Sadras VO, Hall AJ. 1995. Canopy nitrogen distribution and the photosynthetic performance of sunflower crops during grain filling – A quantitative analysis. Oecologia 101: 274-281.
36. Hall AJ, Connor DJ, Sadras VO. 1995. Radiation-use efficiency of sunflower crops: effects of specific leaf nitrogen and ontogeny. Field Crops Research 41: 65-77.
37. Sadras VO, Hall AJ, Connor DJ. 1993. Light-associated nitrogen distribution profile in flowering canopies of sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.) altered during grain filling. Oecologia 95: 488-494.
38. Connor DJ, Hall AJ, Sadras VO. 1993. Effects of nitrogen content on the photosynthetic characteristics of sunflower leaves. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 20: 251-63.